History

The Terrace Mill
The first mill on the site was built in 1870 by William Moses and brothers John and George Wheeler. In 1895 the mill operation was dismantled and moved to Brooten, to be near the railroad. The present flour mill and Keystone Arch Bridge were constructed in 1903 by J. M. Danials, who sold it to Gustav Anderson in 1910 along with the general store. In 1920 Peter Takken purchased the mill and ran it until 1948. In 1950 a new owner converted it to millwork and made church furniture until it was abandoned in 1967. Title passed to the Glacial Ridge Trail Association in 1974 and to Chippewa Falls Township in 1975. In March 1979 The Terrace Mill Foundation was organized and purchased the mill and adjoining property. The Terrace Mill District was placed on the National Registry of Historic Places in July, 1979. One year later in July, 1980 the Foundation became the owner of the Keystone Arch Bridge.

Original equipment remaining in the mill includes the metal penstock and metal-encased turbine (estimated original horsepower: 40), main drive shaft and belt system, and some wooden flour spouting.

Terrace Mill
27165 Old Mill Pond Road, Terrace, MN 56334

Photos by Jana Thornton

Terrace Mill Present Day - Inside the Mill
Museum & Gift Shop

Located on the first floor of the Mill.

Visit the counter
to browse and purchase gifts or refreshments

 

 

back to top

Wheeler Gallery


The Wheeler Gallery is located on the 3rd floor.

 

 

back to top

Lee Paulson Pioneer Playhouse


The Lee Paulson Pioneer Playhouse is located on the 2nd floor of the Terrace Mill.

Tantrums
the premiere performance in the Lee Paulson Pioneer Playhouse

 

 

 

back to top

Terrace Mill History DVD


View this DVD on the first floor of the Mill.

History of the Mill DVD
timeline, history and present day

logo created by Jana Thornton

 

 

back to top

home ... historic district ... events ... about us ... photos ... visit info ... links

copyright © 2006-2017 terrace mill foundation. all rights reserved
original website design Jana Thornton

website updates and maintanance Jeff Thornton